Note: we have decided our ship of the weeks can be canon or noncanon, so if you have requests, popular ships or not, let us know!
Ignite Me spoilers ahead!
Ship of the Week: Juliette Ferrars and Aaron Warner of the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi.
I think we can all agree, when we first met Warner we were still shipping Adam and Juliette. And why not? We had just witnessed chapters upon chapters of Adam and Juliette falling for each other, and at the time, he was what she needed. She was still weak, self doubting, and unsure of herself. The Adam we met in Shatter Me was not the Adam we saw in Ignite me, even if he says he didn’t change. Perhaps he didn’t; perhaps this side of him has always been there but Juliette failed to see it before. They met at a time in her life when she probably would have clung on to anyone that she could touch.
When we meet Warner, he’s the villain we love to hate or hate to love or some sort of mixture of the two. Though she hated when Warner teased her, it was fun for us! It’s one of those, is he gonna kiss her or kill her things. In the first novel, we see him do some terrible things, including killing a man in cold blood, and find ourselves pulling for Adam to find a way to save Juliette (how about that shower scene though, hot!). I wish I could remember exactly when it was that I fell in love with Warner; that exact moment. I think it was during Unravel Me, when we first see vulnerable side of Warner, when he’s held captive by Omega Point. By the time I picked up Ignite Me, I was all in it for Warner!
Never have I ever made such a drastic ship change in a series. In the beginning, I was all Adam, and by the end I was even more for Warner than I ever was for Adam. It was a brilliant! It’s officially one of my favorite YA series and YA ships! Now, on to the fangirling:
- “Aaron Warner Anderson, chief commander and regent of Sector 45, son of the supreme commander of The Reestablishment.
He has a soft spot for fashion.”
- Warner. A white bird with streaks of gold like a crown atop its head. A fair-skinned boy with gold hair, the leader of Sector 45. It was always him. All along.
- “She searches me with those odd, blue-green eyes and I feel guilty so suddenly, without understanding why. But there’s something about the way she looks at me that always makes me feel insignificant, as if she’s the only one who’s realized I’m entirely hollow inside. She’s found the cracks in this cast I’m forced to wear every day, and it petrifies me. That this girl would know exactly how to shatter me.” (Destroy Me)
- “Maybe they see something in him, see something in his face, in his features. Maybe they see what I see from this disjointed, foggy perspective. The desperation in his expression, the anguish carved into his features, the way he looks at me, like he might die if I do. And I can’t help but think this is an interesting parting gift from the world.”
- “Did you know,” he’s whispering, “that I wake up, every morning, convinced you’ll be gone? That all of this,” he says, “these moments, will be confirmed as some kind of extraordinary dream? But then I hear you speak to me,” he says. “I see the way you look at me and I can feel how real it is. I can feel the truth in your emotions, and in the way you touch me,” he whispers, the back of his hand brushing my cheek.My eyes flicker open. I blink once, twice. His lips are set in a soft smile. “Aaron,” I whisper. “I love you,” he says.
- “I want so many things,” he whispers. “I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time.” His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says “I want this up.” He tugs on the waist of my pants and says “I want these down.” He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, “I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it’s racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never,” he says, he breathes, “never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it.”
- “It’s a heavy, unbelievable kiss.
It’s the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world. The kind that takes forever and no time at all. His hands are holding my cheeks, and he pulls back just to look me in the eye and his chest is heaving and he says, “I think,” he says, “my heart is going to explode,” and I wish, more than ever, that I knew how to capture moments like these and revisit them forever.
This is everything.”
- “Ignite, my love. Ignite.”
- “I want you,” he says. He says “I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you.” He says it like it’s a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says “It’s never been a secret. I’ve never tried to hide that from you. I’ve never pretended I wanted anything less.”
There are literally so many BEAUTIFUL quotes from this series that I could be here all day posting them. Mafi is a tremendous writer and she gave us such a wonderful (and tricky) love story. I’ll leave you with some Warnette fanmixes!
This ship gives me so many feels.